loubycee 5

loubycee

About me: Just about to rate many places on the Isle of Wight - a fantastic, beautiful place with many different attractions

Member since:16.12.2012

Chintzy but Beautiful - Cintra B&B Broadstairs Was All We Wanted

07.05.2013 (08.05.2013)

Advantages:
Perfect sea front location, obsessively clean, great food & a warm welcome

Disadvantages:
Only if you prefer ultra modern decor

15 Ciao members have rated this review on average: helpful See ratings
  1. Angela150
  2. Kukana
  3. Milliesmum123
  1. KateHurst
  2. crystalaward
  3. chrisandmark_is_here

Updated:

Note:- Also reviewed on Trip Advisor the day after our stay.

We stayed at the Cintra in Broadstairs after we booked a spa day at the nearby Bannatynes through Groupon. We simply wanted somewhere cheap in the area as we love the small village/seaside feel - Broadstairs is a lovely little place with quaint little beach huts and plenty of places to see. This time we didn't pop to Bleak House which was recently taken over by a family so they only open the house once in a while to the public. Nice that it's being looked after now though.

Looking for preferably a seafront location just for one evening as we wanted to try Restaurant 51 there on the night too. I'll review that seperately but I'll say here that the food and atmosphere was amazing.

Traditional or Modern?
Don't get me wrong, we love contemporary sleek hotels with all the service you can expect at £150 a night - but we love chintzy and homely too. This 3 storey family run B&B is wonderful! I believe the cleaners are the family too - and what a job they do to keep the place clean and tidy.

Welcome
There was a warm welcome awaiting us from Les, who I believe used to be a professional boxer. He was there to let us know where to park as there were signs up locally about how long to park in the area etc. He openly gave some nice advice when we asked about a Saturday night in Broadstairs.

The House
I may be biased - the decor, or wooden architraves, doors and banisters, were beautifully coloured in duck egg blue (my favourite colour) which was right on for a traditional property. The rooms were typically B&B style - quite chintzy but tasteful without overdoing it with ornaments and stuff, so that was nice. We had all the tea and coffee etc that we could want. Spotlessly clean, there's a lounge and dining area to the front with pleasant views. The garden at the front had some beautiful flowers and obviously very well cared for.

There were very unique items all over the home that are obviously loved and cared for - making the entire place such a wonderful, quirky place.

Facilities
I've rated the quality of facilities as exceptional - because what more do you need in a one night stay at a B&B apart from a lovely, comfortable clean room with a loo and a shower!

We had a lovely sleep, the bed was very comfortable with plenty of covers should we get cold. It was a July night last year and the weather was pretty mild, had it have been colder we would have had the option to use the extra blankets if we needed them.

We had a room with an ensuite, which must have been fitted sympathetically as to not destroy the room character and fittings etc so we were happy with that - though it felt like a caravan bathroom, we didn't mind at all - even for a longer stay there was all the things in the house that we needed.

Food
No evening dining, just breakfast - B&B of course!

The breakfast the next morning was made to order, and tasted gorgeous. I love poached eggs and know how annoying it might be to cook them but they were really nice.

Summary
Les was a fantastic host and his wife worked very hard behind the scenes. The location of the B&B is perfect for the beach, the high street, and the gorgeous bars and restaurants in the area.

Overall, a superb welcome, obsessively clean rooms, and a perfect location. If you enjoy a variety of ultra sleek and large hotels, chic little boutique hotels and don't mind the odd travel lodge like us then you won't mind this individual little quirky home from home. We will take the kids with us next time, they'd love it here in summer.

All for £75 for a night with breakfast in a double room. Lovely, thank you Les

Kukana 08.05.2013 12:46

Sounds like a lovely place! (Re-read and re-rated as promised)

Kukana 07.05.2013 12:59

Let me know in my guestbook when you expand on this review and I'll give it another read.