angelboou... 5

angelboouk123

About me: Busy girl at the mo..more reviews to come x

Member since:01.06.2010

A bite to eat whilst out shopping..

30.12.2013

Advantages:
menu options, interior, family friendly, tasty food, friendly service

Disadvantages:
no bacon !

Atmosphere

3. Coloneljohn
  1. dkm1981
  2. DorothyDimples
  3. danielalong

Two days before Christmas, my friend decided to take a trip in to Glasgow Fort for a bit of late night shopping. She asked one of our other friends and myself if we would like to come along. Glasgow Fort is a huge shopping and entertainment complex located just off the motorway in to Glasgow City Centre. The best way to reach it is by car and there are loads of free car parking spaces but parking two nights before Christmas was a nightmare! Anyway, at around 10pm, we decided we were peckish and Frankie and Benny's was the closest restaurant to the car so we decided to dine here. The Fort also has a Chiquito's, Harvester and many other restaurants to choose from.

Frankie and Benny's

Unit D1/2
Glasgow Fort Shopping Centre
705 Proven Walk
Garthamlock
Glasgow
G33 5AL

0141 771 6637

The normal opening hours of this restaurant are 0930hrs until 2230hrs daily though during the festive season, the restaurant is open a little later to make the most of the extra shoppers in the complex.

This restaurant is a stones throw away from the shops in The Fort and is disabled accessible throughout and is spacious. It is a family friendly restaurant which provides high chairs, a children's menu and an activity pack for the younger diners. Additional facilities include accessible toilets and baby changing. The restaurant is kitted out in typical Frankie and Benny's decor and is clean throughout. The atmosphere in this restaurant is quite loud and busy as shoppers come and go. I can confirm that the toilets were clean and presentable.

Food On Offer

Frankie and Benny's offers a selection of Italian and American dishes and there is something to suit all. The menus can be viewed by visiting www.frankieandbennys.com. This restaurant offers a selection of breakfast items priced at £5.00 each until midday. There is a varied lunch menu available Monday to Friday (from £6.95) and also a specials menu (from £11.95). F&B's also offers a light options menu, a dessert menu and a children's menu. A varied selection of cocktails and other alcoholic drinks are available as well as various hot and cold drinks. Please see the website for more information.

The main menu offers the best selection of dishes as you would expect and dishes can be ordered from here all day. The menu is clear and easy to read. There is a good selection of starters and hot breads available (from £2.95) to graze on before your main meal. Main meals include pasta, pizza and calzone, steaks, burgers and wraps (from £8.25). Desserts include cheesecake, brownies and sorbets (from £2.95) to name a few. The children's menu is priced at £4.25 and includes a main, dessert and drink. Vegetarians are well catered for with the best choice being from the main menu. This selection includes cannelloni, pizza, garlic mushroom calzone and a few other dishes. There is also a menu for those who have gluten allergies.

Service

We arrived at this restaurant at around 10pm on the 23rd of December and it was very busy with shoppers. We were seen to straight away and seated in a booth immediately. I found the service to be really good as the waiter appeared to be friendly and efficient. He made us aware that there was no bacon at all left in the restaurant so if we wanted a dish with bacon, we could ask for it without or choose something else. The meals were served at a good pace and we were given a 25% discount at the end of the meal which I believe had something to do with it being Christmas but I may have misheard him. It was welcomed regardless.

Our Meal

We ordered two Diet Cokes and a glass of water to drink. Both myself and Victoria decided to order from the specials menu which entitled us to two courses for £11.95 with an optional third course for £2.50. This menu is available all day Sunday to Friday. We had the choice of four starters and I opted for the warm dough sticks which I shared with Erin. I received four large, soft dough sticks with a garlic butter dip. This is one of my favourite starters at F&B's and there was plenty to share as the portion was plentiful in my opinion. The dough sticks were served warm and had a lovely consistency - soft and fluffy but not too stodgy. The garlic dip was very nice indeed as it was full of creamy, garlicky flavour. We enjoyed this starter. Victoria opted for the BBQ pork potato skins. I am not a fan of pork so didn't try this but it did look tasty. She received two good sized potato skins crammed full of pork, onion and melted cheese and a pot of sour cream to dip them in. Both plates were cleared and both dishes declared delicious.

For our main courses, the menu offered 10 dishes. I had originally wished to order the bacon pasta bake but on discovering that there was no bacon on the premises, I changed my mind as this dish just wouldn't be the same without some bacon mixed through it. I opted for the BBQ burger minus the crispy bacon and was pleased with my selection. My burger was huge and the meat itself was delicious and of a decent quality. Included with my burger was some lettuce, mayo, tomato, onion and BBQ sauce as well as a satisfying portion of fries. I thoroughly enjoyed my burger as it was filling and full of flavour. I liked having the BBQ sauce on the side as I could add it to suit my own tastes. It had a delicious, tangy flavour which I liked. The chips were delicious and the burger bun was lovely and soft.

Victoria opted for the ranch burger which was similar to my own but had a ranch dressing and tomato relish dip on the side. As with my burger, it came without bacon and was enjoyed by my friend. Erin wasn't feeling all that great and decided that she couldn't stomach anything too heavy so decided to order a salad from the main menu. I'm not one for salad to be honest as a salad would not fill me but her mozzarella and tomato salad platter (£4.95) did look well presented and one of the best salads I have seen in a restaurant before. It consisted of mozzarella, tomato, olive and dough balls with an olive oil and cracked black pepper dressing. She cleared her plate and declared it delicious. We didn't have room for desserts and as it was getting quite late, we didn't wish to fill our tummies any further.

Overall we were satisfied with the dishes that we had chosen. The portion sizes were definitely reasonable and the food was served, where appropriate, piping hot. The salad was very fresh and the dishes in general appeared to be created using fresh, quality ingredients. The lack of bacon available did limited a number of menu options but the waiter was most apologetic and did inform us before we ordered which was a bonus.

Final Thoughts

We enjoyed our late night dinner here at Frankie and Benny's. I have dined at many F&B's restaurants and this one is definitely one of the best so far. Erin had dined at this restaurant before and had a good experience on that occasion too so it has proven to be a good choice of restaurant to dine at whilst shopping at The Fort. Our meal came to around £29.00 after the discount had been applied and I feel that was a fair price for the amount and quality of food that we received. I would recommend this restaurant and would happily dine here again as the food was lovely and the service was prompt and efficient. The menu choice is excellent and there is something to suit all tastes and preferences.

Thanks for reading :)

Apologies for the quality of my pictures - my battery was low.

Pictures of Frankie and Benny's The Fort, Glasgow
Frankie and Benny's The Fort, Glasgow fort1 - Frankie and Benny's The Fort, Glasgow
Frankie and Benny's The Fort, Glasgow

Wee_Jackie_163 16.01.2014 12:48

Reading this has made me feel hungry! Nice write up :) x

Chippytarka 05.01.2014 10:11