morticiaa... 5

morticiaaddams

About me: I am from Germany but come to the Uk frequently - my reviews might provide you with an interesting view on everything British ;) I always review back!

Member since:25.03.2009

Be Jamie's guest

05.10.2013

Advantages:
great food, unique but not too upscale, friendly and quick staff, no reservation  -  no problem

Disadvantages:
none

Standard of Menu

1. alliewallie
  2. daylehall
  3. MrGump

Be Jamie's guest

Today I'd like to tell you about the Jamie's Italian restaurant in London's Covent Garden area!

Why we visited

I have been to Jamie's Italian for a few times now. My first visit was with my father when we were on holiday in London! I really like Jamie Oliver as a chef and I like to buy his products at the supermarket. I knew he had restaurants in major cities but somehow I never had the chance to visit one of them. But last year we finally wanted to go and decided on Jamie's Italian as it's menu sounded quite promising. I tend to not like too upscale food, but their menu seemed friendly enough!

The restaurant's look

Jamie's Italian is hidden away in a nice passage a little away from the Covent Garden tube station. It's easy to find though! There are shops sorrounding the restaurant and it blends in nicely.
The restaurant's atmosphere is relaxed, but still unique! The chairs and tables are not too big and simple so you can have a laid-back lunch there, but there are plenty of nice decorations to give the place a slightly Italian feel!
There is a bar at the entrence where you can have a drink, which can be useful if you have to wait for your table. If you come in and a table isn't immediately available you get a little beeper that will tell you when your table is ready. We haven't waited for longer than ten minutes on all of our visits!
The restaurant is buzzing as there are lots of people there and it's quite busy, but the decorations and the friendly staff still make it comfortable! The place's look just suits Jamie Oliver's image - it's a mix between a small English restaurant and an Italian trattoria.

My impression of the food

We've been to this restaurant for a few times now and I've liked what I ordered every single time. As I am not to keen on burgers or things that mainly consists of meat, I tend to order pasta. The pasta has been great on every single occasion!
I've tried tagliatelle with bolognese sauce, which were simply amazing. You can defenitely taste that the pasta is home-made at the restaurant. It is a fab meal to dig into, perfectly cooked with a well-seasoned sauce. Very filling!
Last time I tried a dish called "spring ravioli" which consisted of two big doughnut-shaped pasta pieces with lots of green leaves, some purple potatoes and a great slightly minty sauce. It tasted unlike anything I have ever eaten and it was also well-seasoned and filling!
My father has fallen in love with their pork chop! It was well-cooked and the sauce was fabulous! As a side we ordered the "funky chips", which are chips that are seasoned with fresh garlic and taste amazing!
The food always arrived quickly and was very nicely arranged! We loved it. It was filling and satisfying. The dishes are not overly big but just right to keep you well-fed!

The menu

Here is an small selection from the menu!

PLanks (Woode planks with starters)
-Italian cheeses: Buffalo mozzarella with chilli & mint, pecorino& amazing chilli jam (£6.95)
-Cured meats: Fennel salami, pistachio mortadella, prosciutto & schiacciata piccante (£6.95))
Fish (Fisch)
-Cured & crispy fish: Beetroot-cured salmon, roasted shellfish, smoked mackerel pâté & mini fritto misto with yuzu mayo (£7.50)

Plates (starters)
-FRIED THREE-CHEESE GNOCCHI: Delicious crunchy gnocchi with a fiery arrabbiata dip (£4.75)
-BAKED CHESTNUT MUSHROOMS: With smoked mozzarella, thyme & crispy “music bread" (£5.45)
Bread & Bruschetta (Brot & Bruschetta)
-ITALIAN BREAD SELECTION: Homemade rosemary focaccia, sourdough, crispy “music bread”, ciabatta & tortano, all from our own artisan bakery. Served with extra virgin olive oil & aged balsamicn (£3.95)
-CRAB & AVOCADO BRUSCHETTA: Grilled sourdough topped with Start Bay crab & avocado, with apple matchsticks, chilli, mint, lemon & olive oil ( £6.85)

Pasta
-TAGLIATELLE BOLOGNESE: Ragù of British beef & pork, with herbs, Chianti, Parmesan & crunchy, herby breadcrumbs (£6.95/£10.75)
-PRAWN LINGUINE: Fried garlicky prawns, shaved fennel, tomatoes, chilli & rocket (£7.75/£13.25)
-BLACK ANGEL SPAGHETTI: British scallops, garlic, chilli, anchovies, wine, parsley, capers & squid ink pasta (£8.45/£14.25)
Ravioli & Risotto
-SPRING PEA & MINT RAVIOLI: Doughnut-shaped pasta stuffed with ricotta, peas & Parmesan, with broad beans, asparagus, pesto, mint, lemon & heritage potatoes (£10.25)
-WILD TRUFFLE RISOTTO: Finely minced black truffle with butter & Parmesan. A real treat ( £6.95/£12.25 )

Mains
-THE JAMIE’S ITALIAN BURGER: Prime British chuck & flank steak with smoked mozzarella, mortadella, sticky balsamic onions, tomato, pickles & chillies
Add chips to make it £13.95
-FREE-RANGE CHICKEN: Grilled garlic & rosemary chicken with a tomato, olive, chilli & caper sauce ( £13.50)
-GRILLED BRITISH PORK CHOP: Marinated & cooked under a brick with salsa verde, apples, kohlrabi, mint, lemon & crackling (£12.95)
-JAMIE’S FAVOURITE TURKEY MILANESE: Stuffed with prosciutto & fontina, with a fried free-range egg & truffles (£12.95)
-30-DAYMATURED PRIMERIB: Beautiful 10oz bone-in chargrilled beef steak served with wild mushrooms & peppery endives ( £20.50)
Add my truffle butter & shaved Tuscan black truffles for £2.50

Sides
-FUNKY CHIPS With fresh garlic & parsley (£3.45)
-MINTED PEAS With lemon & olive oil ( £3.25)

... and there's lots more! This is really just a small section of the versatile menu. Of course there are also drinks in every price range. After finishing your main course you also get a menu with things to satisfy your sweet tooth!

The staff & service

We were really happy with the staff and the service they provided on all occasions. All the people at Jamie's Italian are very quick and friendly. They guided us to our table quickly, offered us everything that was to offer and served us without making us feel uncomfortable. Although there is so much going on in the restaurant, the staff maintained a friendly vibe.
The only thing we didn't like where that all the glasses for drinks were extremely scratched - probably because they are stored on top of each other. At first sight it looks like they are dirty, but in the end they were just scraped and rough.
The bathrooms are located in the restaurant's basement. They were always clean and also have a unique style.

Reservations

We never booked ahead but instead just went there a little later than usual lunch time. The place is busy as it's well-loved among Londoners, but we never waited any longer than ten minutes!

How to get there

Jamie's Italian is located in a passage called Upper St Martin's Lane. It's easy to find if you take the tube to Covent Garden and then go left. Follow the busy street with all the shops and Upper St Martin's lane will be on the other side of the street.

Jamie's Italian, Covent Garden

Monday to Saturday:
12.00 - 23:30h

Sunday:
12 00 - 22.30h

Conclusion

We love Jamie's Italian! Whenever my dad and I are in London we have lunch there once! Jamie Oliver is our favourite TV chef and we love the food. There is something for everyone. My dad does really well with the pork chop and the sensibly small portion of garlic chips as he has diabeties and needs to watch his carbs while I can dig into a pasta dish without being scared of it being too crazy or too fancy. Jamie's Italian is unique and interesting, but still down to earth. I recommend it!
Pictures of Jamies Italian, London
Jamies Italian, London Jamies Italian, London
Busy busy!

« Previous review

yazoo88 08.10.2013 13:05

E x

Violet1278 07.10.2013 16:47

An excellent review. E from me.x

Nar2 07.10.2013 15:54

Oh my, very posh!! Excellently detailed here!