kiss_me20... 4

kiss_me2070

About me: I've been wanting to get a diamond for ages and I got one in October . . yay. Thanks for all the rates and comments :-)

Member since:11.02.2004

A lovely restaurant with fantastic service and great food.

27.04.2013

Advantages:
great range of food/drinks, lovely film memoribilia, great service, very clean

Disadvantages:
may be noiser during busier periods, can't see all the movie memoribilia

Standard of Menu

2. frankiecesca
  3. dkm1981

About Planet Hollywood
= = = = = = = = = = = = =
The first Planet Hollywood was launched in New York in October 1991 and is the only dining experience inspired by the glamour of Hollywood. The restaurant chain was launched with the backing of some Hollywood megastars including Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Demi Moore. The Restaurant boasts and large cocktail bars, along with themed areas such as the Bond room, the British room and a trendy Cabana room. The restaurant also includes lots of piece of film memorabilia including Ursula Andress bikini from the iconic film Dr No, R2D2 from Star War films and much more. You can choose whether you want to dine with friends, family, colleagues or clients as this is the ideal venue for large or small groups and parties are also accommodated, for either lunch or dinner. They can offer you special occasion, party packages and you can even hire out rooms for really special occasions. I have heard mixed reviews about this restaurant after reading reviews on both ciao and dooyoo about this restaurant. I really wanted to eat here at some point and my boyfriend also liked the sound of the restaurant as well which is why I decided to take him here for a birthday treat. I was hoping that we would have a good experience here and that the food was going to be as tasty as it sounded and especially as the food on the menu is also rather pricey.

(Please note that some of the above information has been taken from the Planet Hollywood website)

Booking a Table
= = = = = = = = =
You can ring the restaurant directly in order to book a table; how-ever I decided to do this online. You need to simply choose how many people are eating at the restaurant and what date and time. You can choose various different times which are shown on the website. I chose the date and time you wish to visit. After doing this and confirming all my details such as telephone number, address and e-mail address I received a confirmation e-mail with the booking information on. I also received a text message as well to confirm the booking which was at 12:30pm on Friday 26th April 2013. I was looking forwards to eating here and I was hoping that my boyfriend would too. I actually booked a visit to the Ice Bar after our meal, so I allowed us an hour and a half in the restaurant by which time I would have hoped we had received and finished our main meals and drinks. This would give us at least 30mins to get to the Ice Bar which was approximately a 9mins walk from the restaurant.

Getting There
= = = = = = = =
Me and my boyfriend would be getting a train to London Waterloo so we would need to find a way to get to the Ice Bar from here. I googled the directions on Google Maps and it tells you different ways to get to the location. We were going to use the quickest route which was the London Underground. We needed to go on the Bakerloo Line towards Queen Park. We would be getting off at Piccadilly Circus which was the 3rd stop and would take approximately 5 minutes. After getting off the underground we would need to walk about 3 minutes to get to the restaurant. I printed all the directions off from Google maps so we would know where we were going. I would advise anyone else to do the same. The restaurant really was a very short walk from Piccadilly Circus and only took about 4 mins.

Exterior of the Restaurant
= = = = = = = = = = = = = =
The restaurant is located on a corner near a main road so I couldnít get a decent picture outside the restaurant. The restaurant looks very big from outside and looks welcoming. The paint and exterior of the restaurant is really clean and it looks like a lovely restaurant to visit. You can see the bar area through the side windows and the bar which looks quite modern and also very colourful. The restaurant didnít look very busy. You could clearly see a member of staff standing in the entrance of the restaurant which I presumed was to greet customers and to show them to their table or help people with any enquiries. You could see there was also a large statue/figure of something in the entrance as well. The entrance to the restaurant was quite big and was bright due to it being made from glass.

The Restaurant
= = = = = = = = =
When we arrived at the restaurant there was a lady standing in the door section to the restaurant whom asked if she could help. The first thing you notice in this area is the big statue from Terminator which stands rather tall in this area. I told the lady that we had a reservation and
Pictures of Planet Hollywood, London
Planet Hollywood, London The bar
The bar area
I gave her my name. We were about 45mins earlier than the time I had booked so I asked if it was possible to go to the bar and have a drink. She told us we could go and sit at our table now or we could let her know when we were ready to sit down. Me and my boyfriend decided to go and have a drink at the bar and we would then tell her in a bit when we were ready to be seated. As we walked to the bar area which was on the left hand side you could see how big the restaurant actually was. There were so many tables and chairs and also booths on the right hand side where some people were already sitting. The bar area was very modern looking and had a good range of different drinks that we were able to choose from. The bar man was very kind and served us our drinks quickly on Planet Hollywood napkins. Although there was some high seats at the bar which were red in colour me and my boyfriend went and sat at one of the high tables with chairs. In the bar area was a few different things presented in glass cases on the wall. This included the famous Charlie Sheen shirt and shoes from the Rocky films.

After finishing our drinks we placed the empty glasses on the bar and went back to the entrance area where we told the lady we were now ready to be seated. She showed us to our table which was one of the booths on the right hand side and she handed us a menu each. The booth areas were really nice with long black seats each side of the long wooden table. The seats were really comfortable and there was plenty of leg space. You could easily sit at least 2 people each side of the table. The table was really clean and on it was a large piece of paper which had Hollywood stars when they were younger. There was some salt & pepper on the table along with a dessert menu and knife and fork rested neatly on a Planet Hollywood napkin. Our waitress came over and introduced herself. She was dressed very smartly and served us with a smile. She took our drinks order and left us to look at the menu. The menu was like a book as it was quite thick and had a lot of items in as well as advertising for shows in London. The menus were laminated and were very bright and colourful. After a good 15minutes the waitress returned and wrote down our orders and took the menus from us. Shortly after this she came back with our drinks and also placed a steak knife on the table next to each of us ready for our meals.

Whilst we were waiting for our meals I had a look around the restaurant whilst we sat in the Booths. The restaurant was well lit and table and chairs were all clean and tidy and had a good amount of space in between them. I can imagine it gets rather busy here during the weekend. There were at least 9 other couples in the restaurant and also a large table of about 12 people. At the back of the restaurant was a large picture/print of James Bond characters. This took up the whole wall so was really noticeable. There was also various other things on the walls in glass casing. This included one of Jason Statham leather jackets, John Travoltaís jacket from Greece and various other things from movies such as suits and other clothing. Where each booth was, was a small window which also had an object in from a film. The booth where we sat had an item from Star Trek in but other booths have other items such as Jokers gun from Batman, James Bondís gun and more. As the items are located all over the restaurant and near where people sit you canít really get a good look at the items which is a shame as I would have liked to have done this. I noticed that in one corner of the restaurant was the Starship Enterprise from Star Trek which was hanging from the ceiling, this was quite small and although I tried to take a picture of the item I couldnít get a decent one due to it being slightly too dark. The restaurant is family friendly and there is plenty of space for pushchairs and wheelchairs. I believe that the restaurant can also provide high chairs if needed.

The Menu
= = = = = =
They have a large menu here which includes a number of different dishes and meals so suit anyone tastes. I did have a look at the menu before booking the table to ensure there was a wide range of choice for me and my boyfriend. The cost of the food looked rather pricey, how-ever we were only going to have a main meal anyway and as this was for his birthday I didn't mind paying a bit extra money for some good food. I have listed a few items and prices from their A La Carte menu which is the menu we would be eating from.
  • Appetisers - Crispy Calamari (£8.50), Buffalo wings (£8.50), Potato Skin (£7.50), Blackened Shrimp (£12.50).
  • Salads & Pizzas - Hollywood Bowl (£12.95), Caesar Salad (£9.50), Margherita Pizza (£10.95), BBQ Chicken Pizza (£11.95), Four Cheese Pizza (£11.95).
  • Asian - Kung Pao Chicken (£12.50), Singapore Noodles (£13.95), Crispy Beef (£12.95), Sweet & Sour - with grilled chicken (£12.50) with pork (£12.75).
  • Pasta - La Lasagna (£12.50), Spaghetti & Meatballs (£12.50), Spaghetti Carbonara (£12.50), Fettuccini Alfredo (£10.95).
  • Burgers & Sandwiches - Cheese Burger (£10.95), Mushroom, Onion & Swiss (£11.50), Double Up Burger (£16.50), Veggie Burger (£9.95), Hollywood Club (£11.50), Steak Sandwich (£13.50), Cajun Spiced Chicken Breast (£11.95).
  • Grill Specialities & Seafood - Surf & Turf (£22.50), Steak & Chips (£16.95), BBQ Pork Ribs (£16.25), Shrimp Fajitas (£15.95), Teriyaki Grilled Salmon (£14.95), Fish & Chips (£13.95).
  • Sides - Fries, Mashed Potatoes, Coleslaw, White Rice, Mexican Rice, Green Beans, Garden Salad (All of these are £3.75)
  • Desserts - Chocolate Brownie Super Sundae (£13.50), Strawberry Cheesecake (£6.50), White Chocolate bread Pudding (£6.50), Trifle (£6.50), Double Chocolate Chip Brownie (£6.75), Ice Cream & Sorbets (£4.95), Hand-Dipped Milkshakes (£4.95), Coke Floats (£4.50).
  • Beverages - Soft Drinks (Coke, Diet Coke, Fanta, Lemonade) £2.25, Juices (Orange, Grapefruit, Cranberry, Pineapple, Apple, Tomato) £2.45, J20 Juices (£2.75), Tea & Coffee (price start at £1.95), Smoothies (non-alcoholic) £4.95.

Alcohol
= = = = =
  • Martini's - Honey Dipped Strawberry, Princess, French, Espresso - (All of these are £8.50)
  • Beer & Cider - Fosters (£3.95), Heineken ((£4.35), Budweiser (£3.90), Amstel (£3.90).
  • Champagne & Sparkling - These range from £6.50 a glass and £29.95 per bottle.
  • Wines - White, Red, Rose Wines (These vary in prices starting from £4.95 a glass).
  • Vintage Cocktails - Blue Crush, Gorillas in the Mist, Green Mile, Hellboy, Legally Blonde, Iron man, The Dark knight, Titanic, The Italian Job (All £7.50).
  • The Classics - Caipirahna, Daiquiri, Margarita, Mint Julep, The Original Mojito, Singapore Sling (All £7.50).
  • New Releases - Amaretto Paradise, Planet Cooler, Mango Bay, Twister Mojito, Majestic (All £7.95).
  • Silver Screen - Bellini, Rossini, Champagne Cocktail, Kir Royal, Grand Mimosa (All £9.50).
  • Short Flicks - Alien Resurrection, B-52, Bubble-gum, Kamikaze, Pearl Harbour (All £4.95).
  • Spirits - Vodka, Gin, Whisky, Rum, Tequila, Brandy & Cognac. (All of these range in price from £4.50).

As you can see from the menu they do a huge range of different dishes and drinks. Prices do seem to be a lot higher than your normal standard bar/pub but I'm guessing it's because the restaurant is in London and it also sounds like a good restaurant as well who pride themselves in being a little different and having being backed by well known stars.

The Food
= = = = = =
I ordered the Steak & Chips and my boyfriend ordered the Prime Scottish Sirloin Steak which came with either mash or chips. Both of the dishes came with a Creamy Peppercorn Sauce. Our food arrived within at least 15mins of ordering it which impressive. The plates were full up and you couldnít have got another thing on the plate. The steak looked delicious and was a really good thickness. There were plenty of chips/fries on the plate and these looked like they were cooked to perfection. The grilled tomato was a good size and there was a nice size portion of green beans which made a nice to change to peas as I find with most English pubs/restaurants they tend to put peas with steak and chips. The sauce for the steak was in a separate dish which could easily be poured onto the steak. After a few minutes of starting our meals the waitress came over and asked us if everything was ok which we replied with ĎYesí. The steak was cooked to perfection (medium rare) and it just melted in my mouth. As I bit into the steaks the juices from it filled my mouth with a delicious flavour. There wasnít one bad bit in the steak such as gristle. The chips were crispy on the outside but fluffy on the inside and also tasted delicious. I couldnít actually finish my chips due to the size of the portion which I thought was quite big. Although the grilled tomato was delicious I think it could have been done with being grilled a little more. The green beans were also cooked to perfection and were delicious. The sauce to put on the steak was rather runny, how-ever it tasted delicious with the steak and I really liked it. During our meal we did actually receive another check back from what looked like a manager to ensure that our meals were to our satisfaction. After eating the meal I felt very satisfies and was also very pleased that it tasted so good. I could have quite easily eaten another steak as it tasted so delicious. After finishing our meals it took less than 5 minutes for our plates to be cleared from our table and we were offered desserts or more drinks. We kindly asked for the bill and received this within another 5 minutes. The bill came to just under £50 which I didnít think was too bad as that included both our meals and 1 pint of fosters and a single vodka cranberry. We left the money along with the receipt and wallet that the bill came in and waited for the waitress to come and collect it form our table which she did within another 5 minutes. We gave her a tip as we thought the service was brilliant.

The Staff
= = = = = =
During our visit here we actually interacted with at least 3 different members of staff. The lady on the door whom welcomed guests and checked their bookings was very helpful and polite; although I was a little surprised at how casual she was dressed as she was wearing black trousers and what looked like a Pink hooded jumper. I later learned that this was a Hollywood Planet jumper. The bar man who served us at the bar was smartly dressed in black trousers and a shirt. He was very friendly and made us feel welcome. He served us our drinks quickly and presented out change on a silver looking plate after we had paid for our drinks. The waitress who was looking after us was very smartly dress in black trousers and shirt. Her hair was tied back in a bun and her make-up was minimal and looked natural. Throughout our whole visit I found the waitress to be very polite and helpful and she served us with a smile whenever she came over to our table to check on us. The last person who we interacted with was a man who was dressed smartly in black trousers and a coloured shirt. He looked like management and he was the one who asked us if everything was ok with our meals the 2nd time. It was nice to receive a 2nd check back shortly after starting our meals.

The Toilets
= = = = = = =
There are toilets located upstairs and downstairs. As we were sitting downstairs we used these toilets. Although we were over the other side of the restaurant the toilets were only a short walk and were single cubicles. Menís cubicles were on the left hand side and ladies were on the right hand side. When I opened the door to the cubicle I was impressed at how clean and modern looking it was. Each cubicle was a decent size and included a toilet, sink and Dyson air blade dryer for your hands. There were 2 flush options which was a full flush or half flush. There was also a mirror and a good supply of toilet tissue. The walls to the cubicle had different sized black and white circles all over it and it looked really good and also very funky. The cubicle was spotless and was so clean and tidy and also smelt fresh and clean. There wasnít anything bad to say about the toilets.

Overall Opinion
= = = = = = = = =
Despite reading some bad reviews about the restaurant me and my boyfriend were really pleased with our visit hear and were quite surprised at how good it was, especially after reading the bad reviews. The restaurant looks really welcoming and looks very modern and also very clean. The staff in the restaurant was all dressed smartly and were helpful and very polite and were happy to help you if you have any problems or questions regarding the menu or your meal. The service in here was brilliant and the food came out to us in a good amount of time without having to wait too long. The food looked really good when it came out on the plate and it tasted absolutely delicious. Me and my boyfriend both enjoyed our meals and felt very satisfied after eating it. Although we would have liked to have tried a dessert we didnít think we would be able to finish it which is why we only had the main meal. The only downside to the restaurant is not being able to look at the items on display in the glass cabinets that are located around the restaurant. Itís a shame that they donít have a separate room for these items as it would be good to take a closer look at them and take some pictures. As the restaurant is quite large I imagine it would be rather noisy in here when the restaurant is full. I how-ever canít comment on this as we visited when it was quite quiet. I would definitely visit the restaurant again and I would also recommend it to others if you happen to be in the area.

Other Information
Sat: 11:00am - 12:00am
Sun: 11:30am - 11:00pm

(review also on dooyoo)

KateHurst 21.05.2013 01:37

The steak and chips looks really good! I don't know why, but I feel like that's the one I'd go for. Actually - and I'm saying this as someone from Lancashire - I'm surprised how cheap some of those prices are; I've known restaurants in my home town charge similar prices for steaks and soft drinks.

xmum2fourx 01.05.2013 15:15