catsholid... 4

catsholiday

About me: What do you have to do to get rates on here these days!! Has the Premium Fund shrunk in the wash ? I am sorry I only read 2 posts per member per day

Member since:03.03.2003

Oaxaca or Wahaca

27.12.2013

Advantages:
Good food and plenty of choice

Disadvantages:
You cannot book and it gets VERY busy at times

Standard of Menu

1. Coloneljohn
  2. MrGump
  3. dee7778

Oaxaca (English / w ə ˈ h ɑ k ə / wə- HAH -kə

We visited Wahaca with my daughter as she has been and liked it. She knows we always like to try new places to eat.

Unfortunately they don't take bookings so when it is very busy you can sometimes have to wait for quite long periods which can be annoying.

The place is pretty big and we were shown to a table deep in the heart of the restaurant right at the back. From the street it doesn't look that big and when you walk down th steps the small bar areas is where you can wait and enjoy a drink if you have to wait for a table. The bar was rammed when we went to we left and came back a bit later.

The restaurant was started by one of the winners of Masterchef some years back and she was inspired by her time in Mexico to start this restaurant. Since then there have been several others open in London. We went to the Covent garden place but you can have the same food in these locations Bluewater, Canary Wharf, Charlotte St, Covent Garden, Islington, Soho, Southbank, St. Pauls, Stratford, Waterloo, White City, Mexican Street Kitchen.

The menu is huge and had plenty of choice of freshly cooked small taster type plates. We must have ordered about ten of the little taster dishes between us. Every single one was delicious and on each plate was just enough for us each to have a bit of a taste. These are from the Street food section and it is a great way to try lots of tastes. It also means that if you don't like one so much you don't end up with a whole plate of something you are not so keen on. They also do larger main meals but this gave us the chance to sample more different dishes. The dishes vary in price but are around 4 each on average . They say that two to three per person is plenty and we found that we had more than enough with ten between the four of us.

The servers were busy and yet managed to keep stuff coming as well as checking if we wanted more drinks and so on. The dcor was Mexican, it looked chunky and typically Mexican with heavy chairs and tiled floors. Although the place is huge it is not all one large room, there ar different levels and dividing walls so that you don't feel you are eating in a barn.

This is not a place you would go for a quiet romantic dinner but if you like a busy atmosphere and Mexican food that is a bit different from the usual Tex Mex offerings we have become used to then this is a great place to eat.

I can't remember precicelty what we ate but I do remember it was all good and not a crumb was left on our dishes when they came to clear them away.

The drinks served do include Mexican beer which is a plus and of course you can enjoy a number of different tequila based cocktails amongst others. We stuck with beer as we were heading homewards and had to negotiate buses and I can't handle too much excitement (alcohol) any more.

I did have to try a dessert though as I have a sweet tooth, my daughter joined me while the men folk had another beer each. I was tempted by the churros or the Chocolate tart but opted in the end for the salted caramel ice cream as I do love ice cream and this was not a disappointment 0 really yummy. My daughter had the churros which were also nice but I am glad I went for the icecream as it was tasty and refreshing.

I would go back again but wish they would take bookings. Next time we will go on an evening that is not Saturday or Friday night and we will maybe not have to wait so long. I am sure they have thought out the lack of booking but it does rather put me off. I would have thought if they said they would hold a table for a maximum of five minutes they wouldn't lose any custom by booking.

This review may be posted on other sites under my same user name.

Catsholiday

Write your own review Write a review and you will earn 0.5p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful. Write a review and you will earn 0.5p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful.   Report a problem with this reviews content

muffin11 27.12.2013 22:53

I love it here, amazing Mexican food

lorriellah 27.12.2013 20:13

I love Mexican!

cr01 27.12.2013 19:33

I do find it rather rude of places not to arrange a booking system. They seem to think we have nothing better to do than hang round for an hour or so for a bite to eat. Good point well made :o)