Misled 1

Misled

Member since:28.07.2014

My worst car rental experience

28.07.2014

Advantages:
None

Disadvantages:
Car high mileage (85,000 kms) in poor condition

Recommendable No:

Available selection

Customer Service

Vehicle Quality

Type of car rentedFamily

How many outlets do they haveMany

Which outlet did you go toRome Airport

Make and model of car rentedFiat Bravo

7 Ciao members have rated this review on average: helpful See ratings
  1. Scotlass712
  2. ladyofflame
  3. RICHADA

On 28th January 2014, I contracted to rent a car from Firefly Car Rental in Rome through Holiday Autos, for 18 days from the 13th to the 31st of May 2014.

In the past I have used Holiday Autos and always found them competitive and the cars of a high standard. Firefly is way off the airport and the car they supplied was high mileage (85,000 kms,)and in poor condition.

On the 27th of May, the car stalled and wouldn’t re-start, we were immobile in a restricted area. I phoned the “road assistance” number given on the rental agreement and they said they would send help. While we were waiting, the police arrived and insisted we must leave, as we were blocking an area used for parking busses, which were due to arrive. The police started the car with jump leads and told us to leave the area without stopping, as the car wouldn’t re-start. So we drove back to our accommodation. On the way I phoned the road assistance to explain what had happened and that I would phone again later.

It was late when we arrived back, so I phoned them the next morning. They said they would send help. I expected them to bring a replacement car, but a man came alone in a low loader. He took the car away, saying he could not help with a replacement car and that we must talk to Firefly. That started a series of calls to Firefly and Road Assistance, each one insisting it was the responsibility of the other party. Finally Firefly admitted they had to replace the car. First they said that there was a car for us at Perugia airport and that I must phone them to arrange delivery. I phoned them and they said they had no available cars. Then they said there was a car at Hetrz in Orvietto, same thing happened. Next they offered a car at Ciampino Airport. By this time it was late afternoon (on the 28th) and of course we had no way of getting there.

So that was one and a half days ruined already. I decided there was no way I was going to spend the next day (the 29th) going to Ciampino, with the possibility that there would be no car available there either. If I had collected a car on the 29th, that would have been another day ruined and then we would have a car for one day (the 30th), with the prospect of driving back the next day (the 31st) to the airport to drop the car off. So we decided not to take the chance of going to Ciampino and finding no car there either.

So our party of three adults and one child, lost 4 and a half days use of a car and we had to take the train (3 hours) to the airport.

I have written to Firefly and Holiday Autos a month ago and have had no reply whatsoever.

MY ADVICE: STEER WELL CLEAR OF FIREFLY AND HOLIDAY AUTOS.

Scotlass712 29.07.2014 21:25

What an awful experience!! Karma is a wonderful thing, lol. Thanks for sharing :-)

ladyofflame 29.07.2014 08:12

Unacceptable run-a-round, I hate companies that fob you off from one hand to another due to their lack of inter-communication or laziness/cost cutting and then expect you to do the arrangements wasting your time/money/patience on top of it.

RICHADA 28.07.2014 14:13

Not a great experience, nor a company that deserves to stay in business by the sound of it. R.